What is street fashion? An attitude? A way to express yourself? A life-style? Actually it’s something really hard to define, even because every single country has its own peculiar way to interpret fashion. But, in order to make things easier, it would be a good idea to focus on just one country, the one we live for example, or on one city. That’s what I did. Even because, trying to figure it out what it means to be a street-fashioner, what’s better than Dublin, with all its multicultural influences and its strong personality about fashion, which sometimes makes Irish young people extremely recognizable just because of their style? Here starts my experiment: I went through the streets of Dublin, and into clothes shops (but not only!) trying to find something that would be my definition of the real Irish street fashion. Conclusion: there is no definition. But even if the street fashion entity is in a permanent evolution, of course, after all is still fashion with its multiple changes, there are some examples of a particular attitude that become recognizable… Here they are! So, let’s stop theorizing and let’s take a look at what you’ll be able to find in the streets of Dublin, in a normal afternoon.
1. Grounge: A little touch of the 20s style, remembered in the skirt doesn’t hide the grounge nature of this outfit. Big, a little messy, put together with apparent iddiference, it’s absolutely studied. Perfect for a young scientist (student of the DIT in Dublin), who wants to tell you: “I don’t have time to think about what to wear!”. (skirt: Top Shop).
2. Affordable: Not too fashion-addict, neither common. Maybe you’ll like only one piece of her outfit, but you must know that some of them aren’t as simple as they look like. Most of all, the vintage bag, which gives a touch of old style to the jeans and the jumper, perfectly matching with the French shoes. Key word: nonchalance.
3. Fashionista: This Sweden girl, who is studying fashion design here in Dublin, uses to take her inspiration in little markets or second hand shops, which she strongly prefers to the big brands or chains such as H&M or Forever21. That’s where I found her, between a big jumper coming from a really old closet, and a black turbant directly from the 20s.
If you are member of an ethical club against violence to animals or PETA, this is not the right outfit for you. Oh yes, the fur is true, and is not the only one available in the shop, but it makes good company to little foxy necks and baby minks furs…sorry for that, it’s just the retage of a different epoch when having a fur in your closet was an absolute must. Today is not like this anymore, but vintage is sometimes able to bring new life to old fashion, and that’s why we like it.
5. Extreme: This is exactly what happens when make up becomes an alive entity which lives on your face. The face it’s like a white paper which attends to be painted. Ok, maybe is not the most comfortable way to go out, neither the easiest thing to do in the morning after an hangover, but the result it’s absolutely shocking. Dedicated to some brave ones who are really bored of their “routine make up”.
6. The strange couple: When they say soul mates. Perhaps I wouldn’t consider those two guys if seen alone, but when you look at them together there is something which makes them look cooler. Maybe the strange combination of a really simple street look for her, a little manly with the big sweatshirt, the colored scarf and the trainers, and him, who is actually really simple as well, but the shopping bag, piercing and tattoes makes the difference.
Sometimes clothes can be incredibly different, depending on who wears them. Think about how would her outfit look like, without her personal Asiatic characters. And think about his jacket, the trousers and the ultra simple white converse, without that tattoed skin…so different!
This is the most beautiful thing of fashion. Is a way to express YOURself, and that’s why no one else would buy what you buy or put it with the same thing you would put it with. It’s not only about your likes, it’s about your background, which lends you to choose a particular color instead of another one, a particular piece of wearing instead if another one, maybe a crazy accessory that no one else would wear, maybe just a scarf because you are cold. It’s about the color of your hair, of your eyes, of your skin, but it’s not about your race, or your country. There are no racial controversies in fashion, because fashion doesn’t know about war and social issues, even if it’s sometimes conditioned from them. Fashion it’s pure inspiration. And everybody would be able to have fun with it, because looking for something which fits you makes you acknowledged about your body, your shape, your peculiar characteristics that are YOU. And when you actually find something which suits you, you love your body more and more every time it happens. And even if someone else may not like what you wear, or what you wear represents only a stage of your life, it doesn’t matter! That’s how you feel in that moment, and fashion gives you the opportunity to tell it to the world, to share it, to learn more about people who are near to you thanks to that.